So, here's what I've done over my minimonth of break.
Wrote and presented an iffy but entertaining (to me) and well-received semi-academic paper.
Attended Whitman's birthday party in Conroe, Texas (with lots of Texas poets and a few other cool academics of my acquaintance)
Saw a deer suddenly startled out of a marsh in a park near my house. First ever. Walked endlessly.
Read a fair amount of transcendentalism, and nothing much else.
Played obsessively the following instruments
- Martin LXM all-high-tech-countertop-and-stratabond guitar (I unconditionally recommend this instrument--ask if you want further info)
- Yasuma tiple (a 10 string glorious rare monstrosity)
- Nastily-finished octave mandolin (wow, tuning in 5ths sort of makes sense)
- Gut-strung fretless gourd banjo (my primitive cred probably went up)
- Etc., etc., et f*n c.--had an instrument in my hand most of the time
Bought a fabulous chair, a nice used rug, mostly re-covered an ottoman, and otherwise had halfassed adventures in decorating.
Watched dozens of bad horror movies. I need to write a ghost novel, but may not until I am old, gray, and insane.
Made a character on a MU* and played him once or twice
Drank a fair amount, had practically no social contact
Continued half-assedly with my sledgehammer-centric workout. Got better muscles in my shoulders. Lost about 5 pounds (lost 8, gained 3 back due to tasty soup recipes).